The Philippine Board of Orthopaedics, Inc. (PBO) is the official accrediting and examining arm of the Philippine Orthopaedic Association (POA), and is administratively independent of the latter.
Duly registered with the Philippine Securities and Exchange Commission, it is tasked with accreditation and supervision of residency training programs (graduate medical education) in Orthopaedic Surgery in the Philippines. It is also tasked with the administration of the Orthopaedic In-Training and Qualifying Examinations to resident physician trainees, and the Diplomate Examinations to qualified graduates of accredited training programs.
The Philippine Board of Orthopaedics (PBO) functions to serve the best interest of the public and of the medical profession by continuously enhancing the standards of Orthopaedic Training and Education in the Philippines.
The Philippine Board of Orthopaedics will be a model of excellence and integrity as a regulatory specialty board with competent and principled members.
GENERAL: The PBO regulates Orthopaedic Residency Training programs in the Philippines.
- Monitors training programs through accreditation and inspection.
- Administers annual In-Training Examination to trainees of accredited institutions.
- Administers Qualifying Examination to graduating trainees of accredited institutions.
- Administers Diplomate Examination to graduates of accredited institutions.
- Implements measures to continuously improve the quality of Orthopaedic Residency Training and Education in the Philippines
- Recognizes and awards outstanding residents.